Tuesday, May 10, 2005

RANT ON: Time Management

I suck at time management.

Those who know me are probably either rolling their eyes, nodding their heads in agreement, or issuing choruses of "Uh huh" and "No kidding" affirmatives. Here's the thing, though: i guess i don't really care.

I mean, sure there are lots of things i could be doing, and maybe some that i push right down to the wire then knock out at the last minute. So what. I get done what i want to get done and the rest falls by the wayside. Procrastination has actually become a handy way of prioritizing my life.

But there's more to the story.

There's an old saying that goes something like, "You make time for the things you care about." To that, i'd like to add, "You make time for the things you're not afraid of, the things that don't cause you pain, the things that don't bore you or overwhelm you or --

I'm sorry. I lost my train of thought. I just got up and went for a walk outside.

Anyway, the point is that time management (as if one could really manage/control time) is much more complex than simply carrying around a calendar or making up a to do list. At least for me it is. I've recently started having some serious conversations with my partner about what we dream of for ourselves and each other, what we want to do with the rest of our lives, and how my reticence to get on track with seemingly anything in my life is holding me -- us -- back.

Do i make time for the things i care about? Or do simply shy away from the things i don't like? The only way to find out is to get up off my ass and move toward my goals. Right after i get clear about my goals. (Right after i get back to work, which is what i should have been doing instead of writing this.)

{sigh}

RANT :: off

"Try not. Do! Or do not. There is no try."
-- Master Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

No comments: